The Planning Application documents are stored in Tagged Image File Format (TIFF). This is a standard high quality image type that is commonly used for images that have a lot of detail and perhaps may need to be altered (as plans often do).
Most documents have multiple pages and require the use of a multi-page capable TIFF viewer to be effectively displayed. While numerous TIFF viewers are available, not all are capable of reading multi-page TIFFs (some viewers display only the first page).
If you are running Windows, you received a multi-page TIFF viewer as part of the Windows installation. Depending on the version of Windows being used the TIFF viewer is named, KODAK Imaging or Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
If you are using any other operating system or browser, check your user manual or with a technical consultant regarding an appropriate TIFF viewer for your system.
To change the default Windows application setting for handling TIFF images.
- Double-click on the My Computer icon residing in the desktop window.
- From the Tools menu select Folder Options.
- Click on the File Types tab.
- Scroll to extensions TIF and TIFF and view its settings.
- If the default is not set to the Kodak, Microsoft Office Document Imaging or Windows Picture and Fax Viewer click on the Change button.
- Select each Action item and then click on the Edit button.
- Modify each action item to use the Kodak, Microsoft Office Document Imaging or Windows Picture and Fax Viewer application.
To change the QuickTime setting so it will NOT handle TIFF images.
- Double-click on the QuickTime control panel icon.
- In the QuickTime Settings window select Browser Plug-in.
- Click on MIME Settings button.
- Scroll to Images and view the various Still image files.
- Make sure the TIFF image file box is unchecked.
To establish a default program for handling TIFF images.
- Download a TIFF image to your hard drive if you don't already have one.
- Locate the TIFF image and right-click on it.
- Select Open With and scroll to Choose Program.
- In the Open With window choose a program like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and check the box "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file."
If you have the Microsoft Office Document Imaging program.
- To make this program the default TIFF image viewer.
- Under the Tools menu select Options.
- In the Options window is a tab Other.
- In the Other tab click on the Reset button.