Skip navigation
Sedgemoor District Council on YouTube Sedgemoor District Council on Twitter Sedgemoor District Council News RSS feed Today's weather: Current Weather From the Met Office : opens in a new browser window 23°C

Community & living

0300 303 7800
Website URL : The Control Id 'trail' could not be resolved to an actual control., Type=iCMRender.Controls.Value, ID=MainBlock (~/sedgemoor/index.master)

Food, health and safety

Our food and health and safety team ensures compliance with the Food Safety Act and the Health and Safety at Work Act, and their associated regulations within Sedgemoor.

The team can also give advice, guidance and training on food or health and safety issues, as well as enforcing food and health and safety legislation in businesses operating within Sedgemoor District Council. This includes restaurants, takeaways, pubs, hotels, food manufacturers, shops, supermarkets, work canteens, home and outdoor caterers, offices, warehouses and other leisure related premises etc.

Businesses are regularly inspected, usually on an unannounced basis so as to ensure compliance with relevant legislation. If unsatisfactory conditions are found then enforcement action can be taken. The length of time between each inspection will vary depending on the conditions found during the inspection. Follow up visits will be made if requirements or recommendations are made.

The Team will also give technical advice to existing and prospective business proprietors, take samples, visit the premises with regard to any complaints that are made against that premises, carry out accident investigations, carry out topic based inspections and provide advisory literature.

Food Alerts

The Food and Health Education Team regularly receives Food Alerts from the Food Standards Agency. The agency informs local authorities about problems associated with food, usually in a national context with implications around the country. The Food and Health Education Team act to ensure that either the relevant food is withdrawn from the food chain or that other appropriate steps are taken to protect public health.

The aim of issuing an Alert is to remove hazardous or unsatisfactory food from the food chain. For more information on recent food alerts, please go to the Food Standards Agency website.

Food Business Registration

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

All food business operators must be registered with the local authority. A registration form (below) needs to be completed by food operators in respect of new food business establishments and submitted to the relevant competent authority 28 days before commencing food operations.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact us for more information.

Tacit Consent does not apply, as it is in the public interest for Sedgemoor District Council to process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us or alternatively online via the UK Welcomes service.

Food Consumer Complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK Citizens Advice - Consumer Rights  will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre

Statutory Nuisance to others

It is necessary to ensure that your premises are not the cause of a Statutory Nuisance to others in neighbouring properties. This covers matters such as smoke, fumes, gases, dust, steam, smell, noise or accumulations or deposits that are prejudicial to health or a nuisance. Certain planning conditions may apply to control these problems.

Storage and disposal of waste

Adequate arrangements must be made for storage and disposal of waste. You must ensure that the company that removes your waste is a registered as a Waste Carrier with your Local Authority. It will also be necessary for you to keep details in relation to the type of waste; amount produced and details of the company removing the waste for a period of two years.

Public sanitary accommodation

You will need to provide public toilets if you are running a business classed as a place of entertainment or you are selling food and drink to the public for consumption on the premises. Guidelines on the number of toilets needed are given in the British Standard 6465: PART 1:1984.

  • Food poisoning

    Food poisoning or more generally food-borne disease can be an unpleasant illness. Current research shows that the majority of isolated cases occur in the home.

  • Health and Safety Complaints Procedure

    In line with reducing the burden on business, this authority has a complaint procedure for dealing with health and safety complaints

  • Complaint relating to holiday accommodation

    Sedgemoor is a well known tourist location, visited each year by thousands of people who have enjoyable holidays. Unfortunately sometimes things can go wrong.

  • Ebola

    Are you at risk of getting Ebola in the UK

  • Keeping you and your family safe from fires

    Although over 50% of accidental fires are caused by cooking, smoker's materials are the main cause in fatal fires in the home. Research studies into the causes of fires have indicated that some members of the community are much more at risk of having a fire than others.

Related Documents


Cookies on this site.